How to care for hair extensions is and really should be one of the most important things. If you neglect your hair, very quickly these beautiful extensions won’t look so nice anymore and you will have to replace them. That means spending more money and time. With regular care and attention, you can ensure your hair extensions last as long as possible and stay looking healthy. So, if you want to learn how to properly take care of your hair extensions, read on to discover all of our hair extensions care tips and tricks.
How Long Do Hair Extensions Last?
The lifespan of Kriyya Hair
can range anywhere between 3 to 6 months to a year or longer, depending on the general care they receive and how often they are worn. Remember, the more you wash and heat style your extensions, the shorter their lifespan will be, so try to keep washing and using products on your extensions to a minimum. The important thing to remember is that your hair extensions don’t have a natural hydration source like your own hair does, so keeping them moisturized and reducing dryness is crucial to prolonging their lifespan.
How To Brush Hair Extensions?
How to brush your hair extensions is the first thing you should know, which ought to be as important as brushing your teeth each morning.
* Using a soft bristle brush, nylon extension brush or a looper brush with help them detangle their hair without damaging it.
* Starting at the bottom, as you would with your natural hair, detangling that area first before you move up to work on the top sections.
* Holding the section in one hand and detangling it with the other, it helps so they do not put stress on the hair.
* Be patience and gentle with your hair extensions. As pulling can create breakage and can run the risk of pulling an extension out with being too rough.
How To Properly Wash Hair Extensions?
Washing is vital to the upkeep of the hair extensions.
* In a slow motion, wash the extensions from the top down while gently working the shampoo in, then rinse.
* Apply the conditioner to the mid shaft of the hair, all the way to then ends, working through the hair to help avoid tangles.
* When washing, make sure to handle the extensions gently and to not rub them vigorously.
* Be sure to rinse the extensions in cold water to lock in moisture.
* Finally, carefully squeeze any excess water from the extensions and make sure that you never rub your extensions dry with a towel.
How to Blow Dry Hair Extensions?
Although it is recommended that you leave your hair to air dry naturally, sometimes you simply don’t have time for that. In that case, use a blow dryer on low temperature and apply a heat protestant.
* First, concentrate on removing moisture from the roots of the hair, where the extensions are attached.
* Section off your hair in four parts and clip it away.
* Take one section of the hair and place a round brush underneath it and the nozzle of the blow-dryer over the hair.
* Make sure that the airflow is facing down, and the blow-dryer should follow the brush all the way down to the ends of the hair.
* Repeat this process on all the different sections until your locks are completely dry.
Tips For Using Hot Tools
Using heat and hot tools is perfectly fine as long as they do not concentrate the heat at the root of their hair where the bond is placed. Remind them that they were put in with heat and too much heat can cause them to slip or become sticky. Also make sure the temperature of the hot tool is not too hot, they don’t want to damage the extensions.
How To Sleep With Hair Extensions?
To ensure hair extensions do not tangle while sleeping, I always suggest having them sleep in a low ponytail or a low braid. Also, an important thing you need to remember is, never go to bed with their extensions wet. It can cause horrible matting to the extensions and their own hair.
Visit Your Stylist Regularly
Even the best quality hair extensions need upkeep which means that caring for hair extensions also involves regular trips to the salon for a pro checkup.
Your hair can look absolutely gorgeous up to six whole months if you decide to follow the rules and check back with your stylist every 5 to 7 weeks for professional, thorough detangling, styling, chop and eventual re-fitting.
How To Store Your Hair Extensions?
This obviously applies only for extensions that are non-permanent, like clip-in hair extension. When not wearing tresses, please note:
* Blow and dry the hair extensions before placing them into storage.
* Brush your hair extensions before storing them and tie them into a ponytail.
* Store hair extensions in the original package and put them in a cool and well ventilated place.
* When use them again, simply take them out and shake gently.
* For sew-in hair wefts, store them on a hair stand.
Be more careful with this process in order to have nice hair when you take it out.
The above guide works on all real hair extension types. Including tape-in human hair extensions
, clip in hair extensions
, i-tip hair extension
, stick tip, u-tip hair extensions
, keratin hair extensions and sew-in wefts.